What is Neurology?
Neurology is the medical specialty that deals disorders of the nervous system, which includes the brain, spinal cord, nerves, and muscles.
Common disorders of the nervous system that a neurologist treats include:
- Numbness and tingling
- Muscle Weakness
- Memory loss/Cognitive Decline
- Speech Disorders
- Gait and balance Disorders
- Visual Disturbances
- Muscle Spasms
As with any visit to a physician, your encounter will begin with a basic history of your present problem and any prior medical issues. This will then be followed by a neurological examination. Additional testing a neurologist might typically perform or order include:
- Nerve conduction study and electromyography (EMG)
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- CT or MRI
- Botox injections (for migraine, dystonia, spasticity, etc.)